Herbed Spahetti Squash

Friday, October 22, 2010



I love fall and the explosion of beautiful color everwhere...even in the grocery stores. With all the unusual pumpkin and squashes on display, I had to try and cook one. Tonight, I gave a spaghetti squash a try, thanks to an unusually easy Emeril Lagasse recipe.




http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/herbed-spaghetti-squash-recipe/index.html

Ingredients
- 1 small spaghetti squash
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1/2 tablesppons finely chopped mixed soft herbs, such as basil, chives,
chervil, parsley or sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper

I started by halving the squash and placing it cut side down in a baking dish and added water to the pan to come up to 1/2 inch.














Cover with foil (to be honest, I forgot this step and it worked out fine) and bake at 375 for 45 minutes. Turn the squash over and bake for 15 more minutes. Take out of the oven and let cool.













While the squash was cooking, I cut up the herbs. Emeril said use any soft herb so I chose to use chives and basil because I grow them in my little herb garden. If you haven't tried growing herbs, give it a try. I'm not much of a gardener but my basil, chives and mint are doing great!

Ok, now back to the squash. Use a spoon to remove all the seeds. And now for the fun part, use a fork and pull the strands of squash away from the peel. Doesn't it look just like spaghetti?














Heat a skillet and melt the butter. Add the squash, herbs, salt and pepper and heat through. You can either serve it now or cover until time to serve.














Wouldn't this be a great dish to take as a side for Thanksgiving?



Have fun!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Made by Lena